Sunday, April 27, 2014

They say that as a teacher I have too much time off.

They say that as a teacher this really means that I am also: a counselor, juggler, firefighter, and advocate...

As a teacher I develop and create curriculum relevant to my students so as to engage them in the lesson. As a teacher I provide direct support in the classrooms while learning is taking place. As a teacher I push, encourage, motivate and challenge students when they are ready to give up. (Past educators have told these students that they are 'stupid' or 'will amount to nothing'). As a teacher I call home to guardians to inform them of the achievements they have made. (Many of these phone calls are the first positive calls guardians have received). As a teacher I keep graham crackers in my desk drawer just in case my students are hungry first thing in the morning. (They haven't always had food to eat outside of school). As a teacher, I tutor on the weekends to help my students stay on top of work. (I tutor for free because they cannot afford to pay tutoring fees). As a Special Education teacher, I work to make sure that students with disabilities are receiving the modifications and accommodations they are legally allowed so that they can access the education provided to them. (Many students identified with learning, emotional, and physical disabilities still do not receive the education services that they deserve). As a teacher I buy used books to supply our school library so the students have books to read. As a teacher I facilitate the Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) on campus so that LGTBQI students have a safe place to express and be their true selves. As a teacher I give voice to these students that have been ignored, left behind and forgotten. I give voice to these students because they are 'just gang bangers' or 'just drug addicts' or 'just prostitutes' or 'just juvenile delinquents'. Their stories don't matter anyway because of the choices they have made. As a teacher I listen to my students when they are having crisis in their lives. As a teacher, I am a mandatory reporter when a student reports abuse to me.

As a teacher, I return the next day, no matter what. Sick, sleep deprived, personal or family situations, interpersonal conflicts with co workers. As a teacher, I am there for my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment